Yiddish Literature Class
YIDDISH LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION
with Loretta Denner
Do Yiddish writers have a unique voice and perspective?
With the exception of Sholem Aleichem and IB Singer, few Yiddish writers are familiar to us. But recent translations have made more Yiddish writing available to non-Yiddish speakers.
We will examine and discuss 19th and 20th century Yiddish fiction. Included are selections by Sholem Aleichem and IL Peretz and extend to Lamed Shapiro and Dora Shulner. Dr. Denner leads discussions and provides historical and social context.
• WHEN: Mondays, March 16 & 23 from 2:00-4:00pm at the JCC
• WHERE: Jewish Community Center, 1301 Farmers Lane, Santa Rosa
• FREE: but the JCC would gladly accept a donation.
• Most selections are in A Treasury of Yiddish Stories, ed. Howe and Greenberg. Additionally, two printed handouts will be given out. Readings are in English.
• If you plan to attend, email Loretta: email@example.com
Loretta Denner taught in the SRJC English Dept. for many years, and has been emerita since 2005. She taught numerous classes in Yiddish Literature at the JCC.