Yiddish Literature Class 2020
Time: 2-4:00 p.m.
Days: March 2, 9, 16 & 23 2020
Fee: Donation Based
YIDDISH LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION at the JCC
With the exception of Sholem Aleichem and IB Singer, few Yiddish writers are familiar to American readers. But recent translations into English have made more and more Yiddish writing available to non-Yiddish speakers.
Four classes in March will examine and discuss Yiddish fiction written in the late 19th and 20th centuries. These will include selections by Sholem Aleichem and IL Peretz and extend to Lamed Shapiro and Dora Shulner. Loretta Denner will lead the discussions and provide historical and social context, but generally all participate.
One question worth addressing:
Do Yiddish writers have a unique voice and perspective?
- Classes meet the 4 Mondays, March 2, 9, 16 & 23 from 2:00-4:00pm at the JCC
- Location: Jewish Community Center, 1301 Farmers Lane,
Santa Rosa, 95405
- Most selections are in A Treasury of Yiddish Stories, ed. Howe and Greenberg. Additionally, two printed handouts will be given out. Readings are in English.
- Folks planning to attend should send an email to Loretta, who will email a schedule of readings in February. Loretta's email: email@example.com
- Cost: No fee for the class, but the JCC would gladly accept a donation.
Loretta Denner taught in the SRJC English Deptment for many years, and has been emerita since 2005. She has taught numerous classes in Yiddish Literature in translation at the JCC Sonoma County.